Tuesday, July 04, 2006

CONTINUING EDUCATION

I'm quite perplexed of applying the continuing education. I hate the education system and the common practice in Hong Kong. Most of the employees only care of how many certificates you have or see how good your qualification is. They neglect the real performance of the candidates. Certificate is only a paper, what you learn is in your brain but not only proven by the paper.

I really want to study what I want but I don't want to spend 4 years or more to get a degree. I found a Top up Degree course from Unversity in Australia and it only needs 2 years to finish. It's quite attractive but the programme is Business Adminstration, frankly I'm not really interested in it. But it's a fastest way to get a degree and after that I can do what I want. But seems the application deadline have been over and I have to wait for the next application date. I don't think I have much time to consider coz I have been wasting time these years. I'm sick of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every one of us learns more in the first month of employment that we do in 4 years at college. A good education doesn't totally prepare any of us for a career, it just gives us the means to seek employment in a chosen field.
I can understand employers judging those seeking their first job by their educational background, but a few years after leaving education it should be experience that matters most not qualifactions. To me it is ridiculous to judge somebody of my age by the qualifactions I attained 10 years ago. I am no longer the clean shaven good looking boy that left college, I'm so much more (or less if you're judging looks!):P
Anyway Karen, you haven't wasted these years. You have accumulated a wealth of knowledge and no matter what career path you chose you're a better person and a better employee because of it. :-)

kArEn said...

Working in Hong Kong is like that, it's totally different with other countries. It's so strange that people care of qualification more than experience. I really hate that and I don't like to follow the trend. But I live here so I can't choose.